borderAndreaVB free resources for Visual Basic developersborder
borderAndreaVB Visual Basic and VB.NET source code resources - Copyright © 1999-2014 Andrea Tincaniborder

AndreaVB | Forum | News | Downloads | Register | Help | Member List | Statistics | Search | PM | Profile

Print This Topic
Previous Topic (CTL3D32.DLL?)Next Topic (Get item from the combobox using dll) New Topic New Poll Post Reply
AndreaVB Forum : API : How can I "overscore" a character?
Poster Message
renckly
Level: Guest

icon How can I "overscore" a character?

I'm creating a specialized rtf word processor and looking for a way to create an "overscore" on a character (the opposite of an underscore in a word processor).  I'm presuming I'll need to use the Win32 API and draw the character and overscore, but I don't know if that's true, or how to do it, or if there's a more efficient way (I can't imagine why Microsoft wouldn't put such a generic call into the Win32 API).  Anyway, can you give me some guidance?

Thanks

Tom Renckly
renckly@caec.com

04-10-2002 at 01:49 PM
| Quote Reply
mayd

icon Re: How can I overscore a character?

Tom -

Did you ever solve this problem?

We had to create our own font to do it but would like to find a more "conventional" way.

David May
mayd@amsec.nns.com

20-02-2003 at 03:33 PM
| Quote Reply
vbgen
Level: Moderator

icon Re: How can I "overscore" a character?

sorry if no one's posting on this one...

i don't have any idea either...

the one in my head is far from this...

all i can do on overscoring is in html writing.

again, sorry.  

20-02-2003 at 04:00 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show All Posts | Quote Reply
mayd

icon Re: How can I

Hey this is good -

Because I'm trying to implement an overscore in HTML!

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

David

20-02-2003 at 09:21 PM
| Quote Reply
renckly

icon Re: How can I

I just sent this message to Dave and thought I'd post it for anyone else who wanders in to this thread:

I had to resort to a pre-made font to get the overscore capability I was looking for.  The font is called Marvosym and has lots of symbols you can't find anywhere else, and they're very well made.  The lower case g gives a "low overscore" for lowercase characters and the upper case G gives a high overscore for uppercase letters and numbers.

Apparently, the overscore character works by backing up to the previous character to the left of the cursor and puts the overscore on it.  The font is free and can be obtained by going to this web site:   http://www.marvosym.de/marvosym.e.html

I'd still like to find a way to do this using the Windows API through some draw technique...that way I wouldn't have to load an entire font file just for the overscore capability.

Cheers All
Tom Renckly

21-02-2003 at 01:32 AM
| Quote Reply
AndreaVB Forum : API : How can I "overscore" a character?
Previous Topic (CTL3D32.DLL?)Next Topic (Get item from the combobox using dll) New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Surf To:

Not Logged In? Username: Password: Lost your password?
borderAndreaVB free resources for Visual Basic developersborder
borderAndreaVB Visual Basic and VB.NET source code resources - Copyright © 1999-2014 Andrea Tincaniborder